Installation & Specifications
Please understand that approximately 30% of orders come in random short lengths and that our timber is supplied as ABCD grade generally. Timber is a natural product. Colours can and may vary from images shown from actual samples. Boards will vary across every floor in colour, tone and knot frequency. It is this variation that gives timber its natural beauty and appeal.
- Direct stick to level concrete slab
- Glued and secret nailed on to 9mm or thicker pinned ply with moisture barrier underneath.
- Glued and weighted on to glued acoustic mats.
- Directly stuck and weighted to a membraned slab where sub-floor heating is being used.
- Glued and secret nailed on to structural ply laid over joists.
- Glued and secret nailed on to acoustic mat over structural ply over joists.
- Over a formed staircase use matched pre-finished solid stair nosing and 189 or 260mm boards for treads and risers. Use matched pre-finished cover strip to hide engineered profile if using a floating stair (i.e. no stringers). Always match nosings to boards as you are opening packs to lay the floor. Select the closest tone possible to avoid an unacceptable contrast on a completed stair tread and riser. It is acceptable to have some variation in a set of stairs. Not every nose will match every tread and riser but selecting early helps.
- Glued and secret nailed or just secret nailed on to ply-lined walls. Use matched pre-finished solid corner moulding for corners.
CARE & MAINTENANCE
- Regular cleaning will prevent dirt and grit from wearing and scratching your floor. An electrostatic mop can be used to get rid of loose dirt and dust or you can vacuum (make sure the head won’t scratch your floor). Contact us directly for recommendations on cleaning & maintenance as we sell a range of natural cleaning products by Danish company WOCA.
- Do not under any circumstances use any bleach, ammonia or caustic based cleaners (e.g. regular household cleaners like Domestos and White King) as this can weaken the coating and could cause colour distortion and the high likelihood of staining.
- Felt feet and protective pads should be used on all furniture prior to moving in to prevent scratching.
- Rugs and hall runners provide additional protection, particularly in heavy traffic areas, like entry points.
- Fats, including oils and other greasy foods can be extremely penetrating and can leave permanent marks. We strongly recommend avoiding leaving any spills of this nature. Clean up immediately – one of the “spot” cleaners by WOCA or you can use a mild sink detergent or a 1 part methylated spirits or vinegar to 4 parts water mix as a one off cleaning method.
- Royal Oak Floors can be refinished if it becomes excessively damaged. Our finishes are designed to be recoated without the need for sanding. For best results, we recommend contacting us directly for up to date information. Please supply us with the specifications of your installed floor.
- Minor surface scratches can be fixed with Royal Oak Floors Repair Oil. We sell a range of colours in handy 90ml bottles. These are available for $22.00 each from our South Yarra showroom or $30.00 including postage.
- Australia’s sun can be very harsh so we recommend the use of blinds, curtains, exterior blinds/awnings or if possible utilizing glass with built in UVA and UVB protection. This will help prevent fading or discolouration. Moving rugs and furniture on a semi-regular basis will help the floor age evenly.